Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Merry Christmas!

It's a shame I didn't do this blogpost before christmas, in the period we call 'advent'. I could've made a great pun with ADvent. Sorta redeemed myself with doing so anyway, which is good.

Because companies often want to make a certain Christmassy feeling come across, the Christmas commercials aren't known to be funny. Exhibit A: an old Miller Brewing Co. Christmas ad.


YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN. BORING.
It's definitely rare to have a funny Christmas commercial. It's hard to combine the nostalgic, family feeling with humour. The best, in my opinion, is a commercial by Cake. A Dutch film and photography production company. I'm not calling this out as the best because I'm Dutch myself, I'm calling this one out as the best because it does something I like. It takes the lovely feeling of Christmas and destroys it. We'll end this post on a positive note, but let's just first get dark.


That was great. I love dark humour, even though it's not really festive. To end this article on a festive note, I'll finish with the commercial that gives everyone that fuzzy, warm feeling. Of course it's the Coca Cola commercial with the huge trucks!

Holidays are coming... Holidays are coming... Holidays are coming... Holidays are coming... Holidays are coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment